Sunday, September 21, 2008

Japan: First Impressions


Although I have only been in Japan for a short time, I have experienced two sides to its culture. First is the more traditional side which can be seen through shrines, temples, kimonos, and cuisine. I experienced this when visiting Kyoto and other cities such as Nara. This is what I thought of when I thought of living in Japan, as was described to me by my Grandma who had lived here over 40 years ago, as well as many tourist guides. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e638.html After actually arriving here I experienced alot more than just temples and sushi! Activities such as karaoke (http://www.karaokescene.com/history/), purikuras, and anime are overwhelmingly popular in Japanese society today. I think that so far what I've seen of Japan has shown to be deeply rooted in the old customs, but also expanding out with these more recent trends.
I'm sure that in future posts I will discuss some of these topics more thouroughly, but until then I will have to investigate a little more.
Here is a fun website for kids (or anyone) devoted to familiarizing people with Japanese culture: http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

A good start with your early impressions. Your photos illustrate both the traditional and popular aspects of Japanese culture that you describe. (The second photo is a little dark and hard to see...). Nice use of links, but I hope your links will become deeper and more academic as your own analyses become more thorough. You are showing a lot of potential and I look forward to your future posts.