Thursday, December 11, 2008

Changing Impressions




So I have been avoiding thinking about this blog because to me it means that my experience in Japan in almost over. Everyday I am still amazed by the Japanese population. Although I feel like I have learned a lot, I also feel as if I know nothing about Japanese people. Sometimes I get so annoyed by the huge population when I get pushed around in a store or a train station, but then someone goes and surprises me by offering a kind gesture like giving up a seat to an older person, or helping a confused gaijin (me) find her way. There is a great dichotomy in Japan that I still find fascinating. From the outside, Japanese people seem very private and introverted on trains and in public. They are constantly playing on their phones or napping and aren't very social. I see fashion as an expression of individuality from the millions of people in this small space, because there isn't very much interaction other than noticing one an other's presence. But once I have gotten to know any Japanese person, I feel like there is a very kind heart inside that is deeply rooted in traditional values and genuine empathy for others. One of the first days I was here I was lost and asked directions from two Japanese girls. Not only did they help me get to my destination, but they ended up spending the whole day with me, and we still are friends to this day. Another time, when my Mom was here we were trying to find the night bus for Tokyo, but we were getting the run around. A woman on her bike noticed our frustration, and offered to help. She called the bus company and found out where we were supossed to meet. She hailed us a taxi and told him to take us there. Then, she rode her bike to the bus station and had them hold the bus until we got there. She had no investment in helping us, but she genuinely cared about our well being. I think that my time here has really helped me understand that Japan is quite similar to America in many aspects, but also so unbelievably different from anything that I have ever known. I have never experienced that kind of altruism in America, but hopefully some of it rubbed off on me so I can spread the Japanese spirit when I return home. Despite the differences, I have really enjoyed my time here in Japan, and look forward to maybe coming back one day to learn even more about this group of people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've found that when spending time in a new place that although everything can seem alien and strange at first, all that you're really seeing are people performing their social functions.

Stick around for a while and you can see past the cultural differences and when it hitsyou that people are the same the world over it changes how you see everything.

I can no longer empathise with my friends who never left our hometown who know only their own way of living and are quite prepared to think of others, in different towns, never mind other countries, as more than their culture. They find it difficult to understand that they are the same and have similar desires, emotions, aspirations.

Often they say well if they were the same us as why do they do things differently.

Not an easy question to answer.

I enjoyed reading about your experience, by the way. I happened on it quite randomly but its good to hear about a slice of life in another part of the world.

visual gonthros said...

Very nice. I am glad you had such experiences while here. Ever see the film, Pass It Forward?